POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : what will be in the next major version of povray : Re: what will be in the next major version of povray Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:27:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: what will be in the next major version of povray
From: Ken
Date: 15 Dec 1999 22:58:26
Message: <385862C6.C5CC87EA@pacbell.net>
Mark Gordon wrote:

> POV-Ray also uses (as part of PNG support) zlib, which includes
> functions that provide support for GNU zipped files.  The gzip manual
> page says that gzip and PKZip both use Lempel-Ziv rather than LZW, so
> that should be completely clear of problems.
>
> That handles feasibility.  So, how useful do people think such a thing
> would be?
>
> -Mark Gordon

I know one suggestion comes up from time to time and that is the ability
to zip image files on the fly for animation work. This is especialy true
for file types like .tga and .bmp which do not offer built in compression
methods. I have heard a couple of people mention that this can already
be done with shell commands but it would be nice if it was done internaly
to reduce cycle times during high frame count animations.

--
Wishing you Seasons Greetings, A Merry Christmas, and A Happy New Year !